Sights

Links
The Transdanubian cities have got age-long traditions: some cities had been based by the Roman, later some had been estabilished by Hungarian Kings.

Tata and it’s neigbourhood has many sights for the visitors. The county has long-time tradion.

The history of the city is almost 700 years old. In the heyday ofTata was in the Middle Ages , in the reign of King Mathias and Zsigmond Luxemburgi.

From the XVIII. century ,Tata got strong historical tie with Family Esterházy. That time gave the baroque impressions, and buildings.

Celebrities of Tata:



Tata

Tata is a baroque town with 24,000 inhabitants situated near the Vienna-Budapest motorway.

One of the determining elements of the landscape and the atmosphere of the small town with slightly hilly surface, lying below the softly bending ranges of the Gerecse hills, in its wonderful natural surroundings. The amazing beauty of its landscape ranks Tata among the must-see-sites of the Tourist Region in Central Transdanubia, where colourful festivals, outdoor concerts and acknowledged sports events entertain visitors every summer.

The town shows a perfect harmony of nature and culture, which tempts travellers driving through to stay year by year. Tata is attractive in all seasons but it is the most exciting in summer: its large lakes and popular outdoor swimming pools are preferred by the fans of aquatic sports and angling while its shady parks refresh the lovers of nature providing unforgettable recreation.

Tata´s eventful history is reflected in its historic buildings, the most important of which is the castle built in the Renaissance period, while the local history collections and the open-air geological museum form delightful spots focusing everyone´s attention to some of the town´s tourist attractions.

Castle Tata

The Castle - It had been built since the end of 1300s, today it is one of the jewels of Tata. Its blooming can be dated to the reign of Zsigmond Luxemburg and Mátyás Hunyadi as the summer resort of the king. The walls of the castle reflect the marks of romantic style which is due to the Esterházy family used to live here. The building at the shore of Old Lake is a beautiful sight still today.

English Park

The country's first garden with an English style Eszterházy was established on the end of the 1700 years family by favour of. In the heart of the park can be found the Cseke lake, which is the anglers' tomato. In considerable plant curios, romantic caves and buildings rich park.

The English Park was built in 1783 by Ferenc Böhm. The ruins were built by a french architect, Charles Moreau in 1803. Türkish mosque was built around 1840.
The Esterházy family had the small castle it as a week-end house. It was built in 1784 in „copf” style by József Grossmann. During the summertime the palm-, orange- and lemontrees were moved inside of the palm house.

Olimpical Training Camp: The area was designed in 1948 as The Olimpical Training Camp.
Champagne factory is an industrial monument. It was built around 1770 by Jakab Fellner.

Calvary hill

The nature conservation area standing under the national protection is single geologic show place. A rich palaeontology diagnosis substance was hit on the area (Megalodus mussels, Congéria mussels, snails), that in an open-air geologic museum worked up tastefully in the stem of the hill which can be inspected likewise.

Geological Musem

Outdoor Geological MuseumThe geological sights are completed with herbarium.You can have a pleseant time and while you are walking you can take a delight at the wonderful natur and special survivals on limestone -sandstone as shells, snails.You can enter to a thermal-karst cave from the park. It is called Megalodus-cave where you can enjoy the tools wich are left from the Stone Age.

Kuny Domonkos Museum

The Domokos Kuny Museum has been open to the public since 1954 in the castle. Apart from presenting the collection of the Piarist Museum (of Tataóváros) founded in 1912, it also preserves important archaeological findings mainly from the Bronze age and the Roman times, national and international collections of natural history, local history, fine and applied arts, ethnography including the the relics of the glazed earthenware manufacture of Tata. In the 13 halls of the Castle you can see a permanent exhibition on the history of Tata and its region from the Roman times to the 19th century, in two halls temporary exhibitons are held.

Replicas of Greek and Roman sculptures Museum

The monument building of the former synagogue of Tata houses the collection of the replicas of Greek and Roman sculptures. On the ground floor you can see the relics of the archaic and classical Greek arts (7th-6th c. and 5th c. B.C.), on the gallery works of art from the Hellenic period and as many as 100 excellent Roman sculptures (4th c. B.C.-3th c. A.D.)can be seen.

German Ethnic Museum

The aim of the German Ethnic Museum/Ungarndeutsches Landesmuseum is to collect, preserve and present the cultural values and objects of the Germans living in Hungary. The museum was built according to the plans by Jakab Fellner in the Nepomucenus mill in 1758. Its present permanent exhibition on three floors "Living together for 1100 years - Germans in Hungary from the Hungarian conquest to the present-" presents the history and traditional culture of the Germans in the Carpathian basin.

Jellegzetes tárgyak például a festett színes bútorok. Egyes községekben (például Hartán) ezek készítése és használata napjainkig megőrződött. A Dunántúli-középhegység német falvaiban a tarka bútordarabokat a XIX. század második felétől kezdődően felváltották a barna különböző árnyalataira festett egyszínű bútorok.

Jakab Fellner Lookout

It was built in 1939 by Stieber Antal's blueprint. The building was working as a shot industry. It is a 45m -high - tower wich has been run as a look out tower since 1960.

Esterházy-Castle

One of the famous owners of the mansion was Miklós József Esterházy, the great patron of arts, who commissioned the building of a theatre in Tata, too. The plans were made by Fellner and Helmer, a famous theatre-building company from Vienna, which designed theatres in several cities of Europe, such as Berlin, Hamburg, Vienna, Odessa, Zürich and Salzburg. The building called Castle Theatre was opened in 1888 with an auditorium seating 200 persons and an orchestra of 16 members; the scenery and the props were brought from Vienna. The theatre has not survived, its interior is preserved in a picture painted by the famous Austrian painter, Gustav Klimt.

Saint Cross Parsonage church

The two-steepled church is a pop's characteristic baroque ancient monument's, Kossuth tér wedge. Having built Eszterházy family, creator though Anton Pilgram, Fellner Jakab, Grossmann József. The church is the site of considerable concerts and concerts in our days.

Old-lake

One of his largest attractivenesses are pops. With outstanding natural conservation significance. The nearly 250 hectare lakes, the world were born for the protection of his most important aquatic habitats international, ún. the effect of a Ramsari convention falls under it.The Tatai Old lake one of Hungary's eldest ponds.

The old man lake and his neighbourhood today nature conservation area, but serves tourism aims since his Tata city, relaxation one encompasses it quasi. The lake and the many ancient monuments superb scenery the water, music, flower this baroque feast with new east is going on on the last weekend of a June in all years for a festival.

Arbouretum Agostyán

Gerecse is the bead of landscape protection area, a popular outleap. On the 31 hectare areas nearly 380 evergreen and trees with 40 foliage leaves and cserjefaj can be found.Pine Trees and deciduous Trees with a collection of exotic species - can be found on the area of 25 hectares. Hundreds of valuable and interesting Tree species located in groups or singly on picturesque valleys.

Attractions nearby:



Vértesszőlős

A village of 2,720 inhabitants along the busy national motorway No. 1 connecting Tatabánya and Tata. In the settlement of Roman origin the nape bone of the 500,000-year-old prehistoric man called "Samu" was found. In the place of the finds, in the tufa mine of the village an open-air exhibition place was opened by the Hungarian National Museum.

The surroundings of a prehistoric thermal spring are protected by a glass pavilion, the former wallowing-place preserves the fossilized footprints of prehistoric animals and men. During the Turkish rule it was devastated several times, at the beginning of the 18th century it became part of the Esterházy manor. At the same time Slovakian settlers came to the village.

In 1994 an ethnic house was opened displaying the traditions of the Slovakian ethnic group. The oldest monument in the village of the former royal wine-dressers is the Roman Catholic church from the 18th century. The present look of the village centre was formed in the 19th century.

Tatabánya

The town is situated at the foot of Stone hill, in the valley between the Vértes and Gerecse hills, in a territory of 94 km2, which is 14 km in length. It has 75,000 inhabitants. Due to its location it is an important junction. The Vienna-Budapest (M1) motorway and the Vienna-Budapest railway line run through the town.
Due to its favourable location it was inhabited as early as the palaeolithic age. This is shown by a collection of findings in cave Szelim. In the area where the brooklet Által and the brook Galla meet, a settlement from the period of the Hungarian conquest was found, which proves the legend saying that Árpád's troops defeated the army of Svatopluk, the Moravian prince in the region of Bánhida. Coal mining started in the region at the end of the 19th century, which gave a new, industrial character to the area. As a result, the mine of Tatabánya was established.

The town was formed on 10 October 1947 by uniting Alsógalla, Felsőgalla, Bánhida and Tatabánya. The new town became the seat of county Komárom in 1950, and it was given the rank of a county town in 1991. Tatabánya was mainly a mining and industrial town until the change of the political regime. The village of Galla was mentioned in records as early as 1251. In Bánhida traces of a settlement from the period of the Hungarian conquest were found, where, according to a legend, Árpád defeated the troops led by Svatopluk, Moravian prince.

On Stone hill offering a beautiful view a statue of a Turul bird was erected in memory of the victory at Bánhida. Cave Szelim, which is famous for the findings from the prehistoric period, opens from the rock walls. The mining town lying in the valley of the brook Galla is an economic and tourism centre. It is one of the most dynamically developing towns of Hungary.

Komárom

Town with 20,000 inhabitants on the river Danube. The northern part of the town belongs to Slovakia. The western part is Koppánmonostor, rich in natural beauties, and Szőny, on the east, famous for its Roman remains.

The world famous composer Ferenc Lehár and the writer Mór Jókai were born here. The Komárom fortress became specially famous during the War of Independence of 1848-1849. Major sights of the town include the parts of the system of fortresses: Fortress Monostori, Fortress Csillag and Fortress Igmándi housing the György Klapka Museum. There are also permanent exhibitions of Roman stonework finds and on the history of the Hungarian maritime affairs in the museum. The visitors of the open-air bath of the town can enjoy its medicinal thermal water.

The series of the events called Komárom Days are held together with the Slovakian side of the town at the end of April.

Visegrád

The reputation of Visegrád, which is often called the gem of the Danube bend, is due to the beautiful landscape rich in monuments and the special harmony of the traditional cultural events. The town is accessible on main road No. 11 and through the Pilis hills, or by ship on the Danube.

The region has been inhabited since the prehistoric period, but the oldest relics that can still be seen on Sibrik hill are from the Roman times. King St. Stephen, the founder of the state, declared it a county seat and he also ordered the building of a castle. Later the "high castle" was a favourite place of our great kings, the construction ordered by King Béla IV, Sigismund, Charles Robert, Matthias can still be admired.

The heritage left by the people living here can be seen at informative exhibitions in the halls of the Palace, Salamon tower and the Citadel owing to the hard work of specialists. You can see masterpieces here such as the Herkules well or the Lion's well, which are considered to be the most beautiful examples of the Hungarian Renaissance architecture. The Holy Crown was preserved in the Citadel for nearly 200 years.

The Nagy-Villám mountain sport and leisure time facilities offer excellent opportunities for active recreation in Visegrád. Two thermal baths are available for visitors, too. Special restaurants await the lovers of gastronomy and for visitors staying here for a longer time pleasant accommodation is offered.
The most famous event of Visegrád is the International Palace Festivity held at the second weekend of July, where visitors can go back to the exciting kaleidoscope of the Middle ages. You are welcome in Visegrád!

Esztergom

The population of the town is about 30,000. Esztergom, in the western gateway of the Danube Bend, the seat of the kings of the Árpád dynasty, is the centre of the Roman Catholic Church in Hungary.

The Castle Hill is the richest in sights in the town mellowed with age. The medieval Royal Palace, housing the Castle Museum of the Hungarian National Museum is the oldest stone fortress of the country. The Cathedral, the most monumental building of the Catholic Church in Hungary, was built on the plateau of the hill in the 19th century. Its predecessor, the old Saint Adalbert Cathedral was built by Saint Stephen, the first King of Hungary at the beginning of the 11th century. In the 16th century next to it the Bakócz Chapel, one of the most significant monuments of Hungarian Renaissance architecture was built and can be seen in full splendour in the existing Cathedral. The Treasury of the Cathedral displayed here incorporates the most valuable collection of Hungarian religious art. Of the masterpieces of goldsmith´s and textile art the most outstanding one is the Calvary of King Mátyás, one of the finest pieces of medieval European goldsmith´s art.

A comprehensive picture of Italian painting is offered by the material of the Esztergom Christian Museum, housed in the Primate´s Palace. A unique work of medieval Hungarian wood carving, the Lord´s Coffin of Garamszentbenedek, used for liturgical purposes in the medieval times, can be seen here.
An outstanding sight in the city centre is Széchenyi square with its monument buildings and statues. One of the friars of the Franciscan church and monastery, Pál Tomori, who later became an archbishop, took part in the battle of Mohács as a general.

Another interesting public collection of the town is the Duna Museum of the Hungarian Museum of Water Conservancy, showing the history of water management practiced by the peoples living along the river. Exhibitions of local history and archaeology are displayed in the Balassa Museum. A sight on Előhegy a bit out of the way is Mihály Babits Memorial House.

The Maria Valery bridge, which connected Esztergom and Sturovo and which was destroyed in World War II, was rebuilt and opened in October 2001, which revived city life.

The aquapark of Prímás island opened in 2005 and the Vadas bath in Sturovo offer recreation apart from the sights.

Budapest

Capital of Hungary, with almost two million inhabitants, centre of administration, industry, trade, transport and traffic, education, culture, arts and sports. The most attractive target for tourism. It is situated on both banks of the Danube.

Pest side:

If you go over from Buda to Pest, on the left bank of the Danube you will find city districts with historic atmosphere, leisure centres and many places of interest. For the crossing, let’s choose the oldest of the nine bridges spanning the Danube, the Szechenyi Chain Bridge built in 1849.

It is worth walking from the Inner City of Pest along Andrassy Avenue, which is as straight as an arrow. Both sides of the avenue are lined by eclectic 19th and 20th century mansions designed with artistic thoughtfulness. The Hungarian State Opera House (22 Andrassy Avenue), the elegant work of the most famous Hungarian architect Miklos Ybl, has been the centre of Hungarian musical life since 1864. The public can see its fresco-decorated interior, its auditorium seating 1,200 spectators and its technical stage equipment in group tours.

Inner City

The Inner City Parish Church in Marcius 15 Square is the first church of the city. It is exceptionally interesting in that its interior shows examples of all architectural styles from Romanesque to Classicism.

The recently renovated building of the Synagogue in Dohany Street (2 Dohany Street) is the largest synagogue in Europe, and its excellent acoustics also makes it suitable for concerts. The Jewish Museum, set up in its courtyard, has one of the most outstanding Judaic collection of Central Europe. The museum is at the same time the research centre for Jewish culture.

The Hungarian National Museum (14-16 Muzeum Blvd.)is the finest monument of Hungarian Classical architecture. This is the most significant memories of the Hungarian people from ancient times to our own age.

The Grand Marker Hall (“Vasarcsarnok”, 1-3 Vamhaz Blvd.) is outstanding in its architectural features. The most beautiful monuments of Hungarian Art Nouveau are the Museum of Applied Arts (33-37 Ulloi Street) with its rich collection, the dwelling-houses of Szervita Square (Inner City of Pest) and the former Post Office Saving Bank (4 Hold Street).

The Parliament (Kossuth L. Square) is the largest and most decorative building in the country. Imre Steindl built the 96-metre high and 118-metre wide edifice between 1885 and 1902. It has 10 courts, 29staircases, 27 gates and the first long distance district heating system in Europe. The Holy Crown and the royal insignia are kept at this seat of the Hungarian Parliament and government office. Group guides tours are available.

The St. Istvan Basilica (Bajcsy-Zsilinszky Street), a neo-Renaissance church, raised to the rank of basilica minor, is the largest church in the capital and the second largest in the country, with the largest bell in Hungary. The Chapel of the Holy Right (“Szent Jobb”) contains a jealously guarded treasure, a relic of the first Hungarian king, St. Stephen (“Istvan”). It is his right hand which has remained intact for a 1000 years. Relics of church history can be seen in the treasury, while the tower balcony offers a wonderful panorama of the city.

Buda side:

Here we can only mention the most important sights of the city. Let’s start in Buda, on the right bank of the Danube. It is one of the features of Budapest that the Buda side is also the capital’s green belt, with memorable places for excursions. The hills Janos-hegy (hegy means hill), Normafa, Szechenyi-hegy, Kis- and Nagy-Hars-hegy, Remete-hegy, Harmashatar-hegy as well as the Budakeszi Game Preserve are all part of the Buda Nature Reserve.

The following is a suggested route for visiting them: the cog-railway to Szechenyi-hegy, then by the Children’s Railway to Huvosvolgy. The railway touches the highest peak in Budapest, Janos-hegy (526m), from where you can reach Zugliget by chair lift.
The two Budapest caves which are open to visitors are the Palvolgyi Stalactite Cave which can be walked for 500 meters (entry at 162 Szepvolgyi Street)and the 300-metre long Szemlo Hill Cave (entry at 35 Pusztaszeri Street), this is also a medicinal cave.

Obuda

Situated in the northern part of the city are the remains of the Roman civil and military town of Aquincum, which predates Budapest by two thousand years. There are two amphitheatres, mosaic-decorated villas, a military bath and the stone pillars of the water system. The Aquincum Museum (139 Szentendrei Street) forms a coherent area of ruins, the most valuable monuments of which are carved stones, wall-paintings and the ancient organ.

The unique atmosphere of Fo Square in Obuda is created by the old single storey houses, taverns and excellent museums. Nearby you will find the Imre Varga Museum (7 Laktanya Street) exhibiting the works of the well known contemporary sculptor, also the Vasarhely Museum (6 Szentlelek Square)containing the entire life-work of Gyozo Vasarhelyi who became world-famous as the father of op-art. In the Kiscelli Museum (108 Kiscelli Street) works of art relating to the capital and an extraordinarily rich collection of 20th century Hungarian visual art can be seen.

The Buda Castle Hill

The Palace (St. Gyorgy Square) erected in the 14th century and rebuilt in Baroque style 400 years later was the residence of Hungarian kings for 700 years. Today it houses the most visited museums and galleries in Budapest.

The Hungarian National Gallery gives a cross-section of Hungarian history of art from the 10th century to our age: it houses exhibits of medieval and Renaissance stonework, Gothic wood-carvings, panel picture, triptychs, Renaissance and Baroque art, 19th and 20th-century painting, sculpture and medals.

In the Budapest Historical Museum restored parts of the medieval Buda Castle, its chapel and Gothic sculptures, as well as permanent and temporary exhibition on the history of Budapest can be seen. In the National Szechenyi Library the largest library in the country, medieval codices from the very rich collection of King Matthias Corvinus are exhibited and there are regular temporary exhibitions.

The Museum of Contemporary Arts-or Ludwig Museum offers visitors outstanding domestic and foreign works of contemporary art.

Buda’s basilica, the Matthias Church, (2 Szentharomsag Square), also called the Church of Our Lady, has a tower of stone tracery and used to be the venue for coronations and royal weddings.

The Fishermen’s Bastion (Szentharomsag Square), a neo-Romanesque bulwark with even towers built on medieval walls, offers an excellent view of the city.

A 1,800-metre section of the 12-km cave system under Castle Hill, the Castle Cave (entry at 16 Orszaghaz Street), can be seen with the help of a guide.

Gellert Hill

It is rare to see a hill like this, a protected nature reserve, in the middle of a city. The Citadel, built on the top of Gellert Hill in 1851 as a military fortification, is today at the service of tourism. Its terraces offer the most perfect view of the city.

Check availability
Arrival: *
Departure: *
Discount Code:
Social networks
Megtalál minket a legnépszerűbb közösségi szájtokon is!
Kövessen, lájkoljon, iratkozzon fel és nem marad le semmiről!